Montreal is all about H-I-P to da H-O-P! In the wake of the Matthew B-Cotè regarding local hpi hop act Dead Obies, here’s a list of the Montreal hip hop artists that you should check out right now!
9. Shades of Vultures: The band doesn’t exist anymore but if you want people to know that you know what’s up when it comes to local hip hop, you gotta drop Shade of Vultures! They’re regarded as the pioneers of the hip hop scene in MOntreal and they have toured with acts such as the Backstreet Boys and Ben Harper so you know they’re legit. Straight outta NDG!!!
8. KCLMNOP: That guy is also old school! He rapped in french and was well known for a song that went like this “shut up! live your life and stay alive!” Serious gangsta beats reminiscnent of E-50.
7. Dead Obies: They’re the new kids on the block. Litterally!
6. Dubmatique: These guys ARE THE SHIT! They were all over the place back in da daze! Chad told us that it’s all about the lyrics, which we don’t fully understand, but you gotta dig deeper and get into it because it doesn’t get any more semenal than that!
5. Roi Heenok: Another local true gangsta! Before getting arrest for arms and drugs possession, this guy was Mr. Hip Hop in Quebec. The King! (Roi means king in French, and Heenok means Heenok).
4. Yvon Crevé: South Shore represent! This guy was straight outta Laval and he meant business! Mad beats, sick (French) lyrics (we are told), you gotta check him out!!!
3. Loco Locass: These guys are like the Canadian Beastie Boys! Their energy is amazing and they’re real proud of their deep Quebécois roots. They’re seperatists but we like them anyway! They wrote that amazing song that you hear every time the Habs score a goal at the Bell Centre! GO LOCO!
(Source: Chad’s iPhone)
2. Daniel Lavoie: The roots of hip hop run deep in Quebec, thanks to Danièl Lavoie. He was the first Quebec artist to try his hand at hip hop back in the 80’s! It’s no wonder why they called him the Rap Pope!
1. Le 83: These guys are DA SHIZNIT! If you want true Montreal hip hop, look no further, these guys have it all! The beats are SIIIIIIIIICCCCCCKKKKKK and the lyrics are BAZINGA (we’re told)!!!! Serious mad props to Quebecois Hip Hop, these thugs reprezent!